Skip to content

Poem: Good Friday Indulgence by Mary McAvoy

April 3, 2015

happpy child running in nature setting
Good Friday Indulgence

by Mary McAvoy

People are at church tonight
while I, at home, clean up the spills from my drink, like Gangy.

The Lord has suffered on the Cross today
while she has cried the afternoon away,
fearful of her fate.

Who are the believers? The squeaky clean and pristine?
Or the down and dirty living in the trenches
on the razor’s edge between life and death –
and who are not in a structured church of any kind?

Who takes the punch from me for her suffering?
Where do I aim my rage?
At a punishing god?
Or a God who has a plan in which she plays a critical part?

Open my eyes and let me see why –
if she is to suffer in my sight.
Show me the divine plan
that I might lift this cup from her, and take her part.

Advertisements
8 Comments leave one →
  1. al1c permalink
    May 31, 2015 5:43 pm

It’s Alicia by the way. No idea how I became al1c. 😉

• May 31, 2015 11:40 pm

Yes, the al1c threw me when I saw it on Liv’s site but some sleuthing (or “Nancy Drewing” as Liv would say…!) and I figured it out!

2. al1c permalink
    May 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Beautiful Mary, Olivia and you are in our hearts.

• May 31, 2015 11:38 pm

Thanks Alicia ~ Liv needs to be in the hearts and prayers of everyone now. She’s in the hospital again for a second round of complications. I hope to post about her status on her site within a day. Hoping things resolve quickly but it’s worrisome. Would love news of you and your crew! Please message me on fb sometime when you have a minute and get me caught up! xoxo, Mary

3. May 26, 2015 9:16 am

Oh Mary, I am so dreadfully sorry to read of your beautiful daughter’s illness. I will pray for Olivia, and for you.

• May 31, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks Carol. It’s been a long six months since Olivia’s diagnosis. We are still reeling from the shock of this development while at the same time we are in the thick of her medical care. I don’t have the time I used to for paying attention to the blog sphere. I hope all’s well with you and that you are settling comfortably into your new/old/new-again home country!

4. judyleeds7 permalink
    April 4, 2015 9:37 am

Bless you Mary. If I could wrap my arms around you both and make it better, I would.
    The strength of family and love will carry you both thru this journey. I love you!!! Judy

• April 4, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks Judy. My heart was breaking for her yesterday.
      I hope you have a nice Easter. xoxo

Share a thought!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s